What to wear when shopping!

 Saturday, July 14, 2012

Yesterday I went with two of my best girlfriends to Woodbury Commons, one of the best outlets in New York. A day of shopping with good friends- of course I had a great time! I decided to give some fashion advice because it really is crucial when preparing for these kind of shopping excursions to wear the right outfit.

I wore my Lilly Pulitzer Belle Top yesterday. It was super comfortable and bright enough for my friends to spot me!
 
Personally I find it easiest to wear a top and bottom and not a dress. I love dresses, don't get me wrong, but when it comes down to trying on different items of clothing its hard to try on a top without pants! If you do make a trip while wearing a dress you can always make sure to pick out bottoms before entering the dressing room but when your tired or in a rush its just easier to have separates on. 

I wore my trusty pair off Hudson stretch shorts in the Cindy Wash. Ive had them for about three years and they are seriously the most comfortable denim I have owned.
 
If your planning on going to a shopping mall that tourists frequent- like Woodbury- it is important to wear clothing that will make you stand out in a crowd. I usually try to wear a bright color or something so that if by any chance a store is too crowded my shopping partners can spot me easily.

Another tip is to make sure your top or bottom hits you at a good spot. A tunic is not the easiest top to wear when trying on a lot of clothing because it is too long to correctly show you how your bottom really looks and the same can go with high waited shorts, skirts or pants.  

As for shoes wear something comfortable, you cannot go wrong in flats! If you have a specific occasion your shopping for and want to wear your favorite shoes- bring them! A dress can look completely different with different heel heights. But if your like me and don't know what your shopping for until you hit the stores then going with flats mean you at least can go on tiptoes to imagine some height. 

Ive been living in my Jack Rogers sandals this summer and wore this turquoise blue Sag Harbor pair. It matched perfectly with the Lilly Top!
 
Yesterday at Woodbury I ended up buying a lot from J.Crew, Barneys, and Last Call Neiman outlets. J.Crew is actually having 50% off clearance right now in their outlet stores.

STUDENTS: Always bring your student ID to go shopping. J. Crew always gives a 15% student discount on your final purchase and thats a savings you dont want to miss!
 
These were just a few of my fashion tips! What do you like to wear when shopping?

20 comments:

Ashley July 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM  

I totally agree about wearing shorts and a top for shopping. A dress gets so annoying!

I'm also a fan of Jack Rogers....wear mine everywhere!

Becky July 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM  

Whenever I go shopping, I always make sure to wear the easiest clothes to change in and out of--I try on a LOT of stuff at the mall! So I agree, shorts and a top are perfect for shopping.

--Becky
preppypremed.blogspot.com

Julie Tucker-Wolek July 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM  

Cute top and sandals too!! LOVE them!!

Kerry Louise July 14, 2012 at 2:00 PM  

Hi following back from oh-so-amelia.blogspot.co.uk
Thank you for your kind comment.
I love the Jack rogers sandles :)

Kerry

Devon Shea July 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM  

I like how you picked a comfortable outfit, but an outfit that is also put together. I tend to notice customer service is much better when you are well dressed. Love the post!
-Devon

retrouvillesblog.blogspot.com

Ashley Aspinwall July 14, 2012 at 2:34 PM  

I like to wear clothes that are easy to get on and off while i'm shopping otherwise I get annoyed haha. I usually try to have my hair and make up done, when I don't I never think any thing looks good!

xo SideSmile,

Ashley


ps. Don't forget to enter my

Bandiez Couture Giveaway!

Cassie {two-in-diapers.blogspot.com} July 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM  

I totally love your style! I usually try to wear clothes that are easy to change out of, and my most supportive underclothing, of course! ;) I found you via the Weekend Blog Walk and am happy to be your newest follower! I'd love a visit back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com! :)

JENN July 14, 2012 at 5:19 PM  

That Lilly top is super colorful, love it. I think I need to buy a pair of JR... everybody from the blogosphere RAVES about them!

Jenn

http://apopofstyle.blogspot.com/

E July 14, 2012 at 5:28 PM  

J.Crew is already a weak spot for me, but hearing they are 50% of sale right now...dangerous! The student ID is a definite must. I may have to make a visit this week.

ellie July 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM  

Great tips! I do try to wear something that's easy to get in and out of. Definitely, comfy shoes. Still, I have to admit if I have something specific in mind I might wear my leggins and a longer top, which won't be much of a hassle to get in and out of..especially if its dresses I'm looking for.

ivy's closet July 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM  

These sandals look so adorable!

Great tips. What a fun time with friends!

Grace July 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM  

I usually wear a loose blouse, chino shorts, and Sperry's during the summer! Totally agree about Hudson denim being the best, too. :)

Sweet Melissa July 14, 2012 at 10:11 PM  

Love that place! Now following!

xo
Melissa

Chatty Crone July 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM  

I love your top - very pretty. sandie

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine July 15, 2012 at 3:45 AM  

It is so important to wear the right thing when you go shopping. I had a friend once who wore a dress so it took her always so long to try things on. Think ahead is my philosophy.

Hope you are having a good weekend.

Cafe Fashionista July 15, 2012 at 8:45 AM  

Ooh, I love the top you wore for shopping! :)

bailey j July 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM  

These are awesome tips! I never even though about the dress thing - that fact that one would have no pants on is sort of funny, eh? The tunic tip is interesting as well! Nice post:)

The Fancy Lady July 16, 2012 at 12:07 AM  

i love woodbury commons! but it does get crazy busy in the summer i save my trips for when it gets cold people dont like to come out lol
where do you live by the way?

iffatali September 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM  

Half a league
Half a league
Half a league onward
With a hey-nonny-nonny
And a hot cha-cha.
Flights to Addis Ababa
Cheap Flights to Addis Ababa
Cheap Air Tickets to Addis Ababa

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! Tell me what you think of this post. I like to comment on every blog that comments on mine!

The Preppy Student. Powered by Blogger.

Back to TOP