First Day Chic!- Tips for College Move In

 Sunday, August 12, 2012

I think most colleges are starting soon, so you know what that means....

MOVE IN!



My tips for incoming freshman:
  1. Be Happy! Wouldnt you want to make friends with the girl who is smiling and happy more so than the girl sulking in the corner. A friendly "hello" can help make a lasting first impression.
  2. Do not make a fit with your parents, go with the flow. You might move in to find your roommate there and she might have taken the better bed. Do not let her see your angry side as your first impression. 
  3. Introduce yourself to the hall-mates and resident adviser. These are women you will be seeing every day of the incoming year so it is always nice to extend a welcome and be genuinely interested in getting to know them. Just because your RA has to watch over you does not mean that she cant be your friend so when introducing yourself treat her like you would your other hall-mates while still respecting her position as the dorm leader.
  4. If you have a walmart/target/cvs/walgreens go to it! Take a 15 car ride/walk to explore the area. When other freshman arrive it will seem as though you have inside knowledge and make you look instantly cool. Another option is to just walk around the campus again making sure you know where the important buildings are. Most likely at some point you will get sick and its much more fun to get lost healthy than when your under the weather!
For non-freshman:
  1. You already know the lay of the land and odds are you know what your dorm is going to look like. With that visual image of your new room you can plan about how to utilize that extra corner before hand so it isnt such a shock when you arrive!
  2. Spend time getting yourself organized before you make the rounds greeting friends. When you see your friends after a long summer the last thing you want is all that stress of moving in. 
For every student:
  1. A good tip for everyone is to bring a second outfit. Move in is hard work- especially if you are not going to be living on the ground floor. You will most likely break a sweat! Bringing a second outfit to change into once your done moving is a smart way to look your best on the first day back.
  2. If you are moving in with your family make sure they know that you are ultimately the boss because it will be your room.
  3. Plan ahead! Visualize your dorm room and how you would like it to look before unpacking. Its much easier to move an empty dresser to another side of the room than to move a packed full one.
  4. Unless you live far enough that you are flying there is no need to over-pack. If you drive to school you are most likely driving home for thanksgiving so the most you need is three months of clothes. 
 Heres a look into what I will wear and what I will pack for this move in day:

move in


I am thinking about doing all the heavy lifting in my new monogrammed shorts from Classic Prep Monograms. They are comfortable and perfect to get a workout in while the monogram makes it a cute pair to show off on campus. I am going to change into an outfit with one of my new jack rogers and jcrew necklaces to show that I did get some really cute things over the summer!

 This year I will be moving into my sorority house. I already know what my room looks like, who my roommate is so I am already calmer going into move- in. I never have enough space in dorms so my priority is always to utilize all the available space in the room so I don't feel as smushed into drawers. Last year my family and I went on the hunt (at Walmart) for the perfect space saving solution and I bought under-bed storage drawers. 

I will keep you posted as I start packing and finishing up details to my room. I am not officially starting school until September but I wanted to write this post because I know some schools start in less than a week!

What is your advice for move in? Did you find these little tips helpful? Let me know! 

I'm also guest posting over at A Preppy State of Mind so check that post out too!

13 comments:

ellie August 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM  

Such a great timing for this post. I have a friend who's moving to his University this weekend.

Love the outfit choices..Especially, the shorts.

ivy's closet August 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM  

Definitely, some great tips!

Christina S August 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM  

OMG I did a post on the same exact thing today!

Great tips, I said be happy too! lol

xo
Christina
Livinglaughinglovingx3.blogspot.com

Katherine Diane August 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM  

I love your move in outfits! Oh and your guest post was fab! :)

Hannah August 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM  

Thank you for these tips! They're going to help come August 24th when I move in to my dorm!

Alissa August 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM  

I say that probably you would also want to realize that parents are going to be incredibly annoying. Even if you aren't a freshman realize they at they mean well but they are just going to try and do things to try and be helpful but it'll feel annoying.

Nantucket Daffodil August 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM  

Great tips for college freshmen. Very well organized and written! (Love the monogrammed shorts:)

the creation of beauty is art. August 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM  

This is such a great post! I'm sure it'll help a lot of people!
the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

Ashley Aspinwall August 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM  

My best advice for moving in is to just take a deep breath when you start to get overwhelmed. That and to treat yourself to margaritas after :)

xo SideSmile,
Ashley

SideSmile Style Blog

Jamie August 13, 2012 at 6:41 AM  

I love your #1! Just be happy!

Always Maylee August 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM  

Such great tips, love #1 Be Happy! :)

xo, Yi-chia
Always Maylee

Becky August 14, 2012 at 5:42 PM  

Sharing this post with my younger sister...she moves into college in 10 days! Can't believe she's all grown up. Love the Norts especially.

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! Tell me what you think of this post. I like to comment on every blog that comments on mine!

The Preppy Student. Powered by Blogger.

Back to TOP