For girls going through Rush

 Friday, January 18, 2013

For those of you who do not know this already, I am a sorority girl. Joining my chapter of Pi Beta Phi was the best decision of my life. This year I am living in my sorority house and I love getting closer to my sisters. 

When I decided to go through Rush and join a Greek organization I tried to find out as much as I can before going through formal recruitment. What I found was that for the most part the recruitment is a very hush hush subject. Sure, it is easy to find information and stories about how great it is to be in a sorority but few know what it is like to get into one.

First of all, expect the unexpected. So much of rush does not make sense. As a freshman I had no idea what was going on and as someone on the other side, there is still so much that does not really make sense. I know my university uses a complicated program designed by a MIT student that basically turns every potential new member into a number and the numbers are computed into a sequence that help match students and sororities in the most mutually beneficial way. Get it? If your struggling- don't worry most of us don't understand either. The system basically moves around students after both the greek organizations and the students put in their preferences for that night. The outcomes aren't always perfect and sometimes people are upset with how it all turns out. At my school most students who participate in rush get a bid from a house but I know that in larger universities, specifically in the south- this is not always the case. 

Recruitment is a difficult time for many participants because it feels like constant judgement. Even with my positive attitude it was hard for me to go through rounds knowing I was being judged. So here is my advice to all of you out there who is going to embark and join a greek organization.

Be Yourself. It's simple and sweet but the key to recruitment. I cannot tell you how many times I have taken a girl out on a rush date and realized that they are so scared by the prospect of being judged that they transform into the kind of person they think I want them to be. That is simply not the case. The whole point of rush is to get to know sororities and on the other side the point for us to take girls on rush dates and to recruitment parties is to get to know the girl and see if the sorority is a good match. We want the girls to feel comfortable and themselves with us. Coming off as artificial is probably the biggest mistake you can make during rush. 

The last thing I want to say is that if you should receive more than one bid on the last night or have a decision to make as to which house to pref think selfishly. This is not the moment to think of your friends and how they would feel but to think about yourself and choose a house you would be comfortable in the for the next four years. Try not to take into consideration the "rep" of each sorority on campus. Reputation is not everything and sometimes you will find that the so called ditzy sorority contains some of the smartest ladies on campus. Pick the house that feels like home, join a sorority with the girls you would want to represent you, and enter through recruitment with no expectations as to how your week will turn out.


5 comments:

CDS January 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM  

I remember my rush week. Rush at my school was INTENSE and CRAZY competative...but in the end I was in the right house for me! Being a Gamma Phi made college amazing, and to this day I am involved. (ironically tonight I am going to a greek costume party and going as a sorority sister with a few friends)

Hannah January 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM  

I just finished rush at my school and it was probably the best experience that I have ever had. Joining Kappa has already changed my college experience for the better one week in. These are great tips and I recommend them to anyone even thinking about going Greek!

Elyse Jackson January 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM  

Hey, come visit my blog! New Indie music everyday, a new outfit and tips for the totally preppy girl! You never know what you'll discover!
>>>> http://thesummerbeforecollege.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! Tell me what you think of this post. I like to comment on every blog that comments on mine!

The Preppy Student. Powered by Blogger.

Back to TOP